Thursday, November 4, 2010

Goal for Next 12 Months

Those who know me well know that I am a complete bookworm. I am the type that always has a book with me wherever I go—just in case I find a snippet of free time, I certainly wouldn't want to be caught with nothing to do. J

The book I'm reading right now, The Mormon Way of Doing Business by Jeff Benedict has been pretty interesting. It is about 8 businessmen who have reached the very top of success by adhering to a very different standard because they are LDS. Here are just a few of the men that are spotlighted in this book:

-Dave Checketts, former President of the New York Knicks, and CEO of Madison Square Garden Corp.

-David Neeleman, founder and CEO of JetBlue Airways

-Kim Clark, former Dean of the Harvard Business School

-Jim Quigley, CEO of Deloitte and Touche financial services firm

Anyway, so the book talks about some of the habits that have helped these men get to the top of their industries. One of them that was common for all of them was their commitment to continued learning and study.

  1. Each of them spends time every day in study of the scriptures.
  2. Each of them also devotes time each day to reading good, enlightening books. One of the men said he has a personal habit of reading three books simultaneously: one on a gospel topic, one a non-fiction book such as personal development or a historical biography and the last would be their choice.

MY GOAL

For the next 12 months, I would like to adopt this as one of my goals. Each month I will select 3 books to read: one gospel topic, one non-fiction, and one fiction because I enjoy it. Along with this I want to spend some time each day studying the scriptures.


My books for November:

GOSPEL:
The Mormon Way of Doing Business-I am only about a third through this, so I need to commit to finishing this before selecting a new one for this category

NON-FICTION:
Driven by Larry H Miller-a biography of this great business man's life

FICTION:
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins-everyone talks about it and I've been waiting to read it

Do you have any recommendations for next month's books in any category??


2 comments:

bella utahan said...

I really like to read too. Interesting concept. Although I have been reading parenting books along with some non fiction. I guess that could go in the non fiction, non religious category. I loved the Hunger Games. Read all 3. You will have to know what you think of it.

Kjerstin said...

You may have already read it forever ago, but I find myself reading Our Town about once a year. It's one of those short, sweet, and simple type of books, but has a way of really making you think about how you approach life daily. It's a play written by Thorton Wilder in case you haven't actually read before, but it's pretty well known.